Shrimp Stir-Fry with Tomatoes, Avocado, and Garlic
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 lb large shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1⁄2-inch wedges
- 2 avocados, cut into 1⁄2-inch wedges
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced into 4 wedges
- Peel and devein shrimp. Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Set shrimp aside.
- In a small bowl, combine broth, cornstarch, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or a large skillet over high heat. Reduce heat slightly. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl to coat. Add shrimp and garlic. Stir-fry shrimp until they begin to turn pink. Transfer shrimp and garlic to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to wok or skillet. Add tomato wedges and stir-fry for 1 minute. Return shrimp and garlic to wok or skillet. Stir in broth mixture and gently add avocado wedges. Stir-fry mixture, tossing gently, until shrimp are cooked through. Divide mixture between 4 plates.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Be sure to pat the shrimp dry with paper towels before cooking; otherwise any extra moisture may braise the shrimp instead of stir-frying them.
- If desired, serve over brown rice.
328 Calories, 19 g Protein, 15 g Carbohydrates, 8 g Fiber, 23 g Total fat (3 g sat), 742 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B12, Phosphorus, ★★★★ Vitamin B6, ★★★ Vitamin E, ★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), C, K, Folate, ★ Vitamin A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc